Tuesday 23 April 2013

Trust in your Dreams Tim Holtz Vintage Texture Canvas

When I was coming up with ideas for teaching a class at Art from the Heart this is one of the texture canvases I came up with. Full of yummy Tim Holtz Idea-ology, die cuts, paints and touchy feely texture.

(At the bottom of this post there is more information about the canvas class I'll be teaching this Saturday.)

The photo in the middle of the canvas is a picture of me and my brother when we were young, fresh faced and full of dreams in our teens. That was 27 years ago, oh my! I still take the mick out of his una-brow! Ha ha.


I started off by covering the canvas with some Tim Holtz Tissue Wrap using Golden gel medium


I painted the tissue with shades of brown Distress Paint, but thinned out some areas with a baby wipe.
I tore up some 3 long shards of TH paper and Distress inked the edges in Shabby Shutters, Mustard Seed, and Fired Brick and stuck them to the canvas.


I used some molding paste through a stencil and added the 2 clocks and the bingo card. Once the molding paste is dry it can be coloured with Distress Markers, this works so well!


I scratched the shards of paper too, with a wire distress tool, to get the white scratch lines. 
I used a black and red Adirondack dabber through a Dylusions alphabet stencil randomly all over the canvas, including the sides, then I added some green paint drips.


I mixed some Shabby Shutters Distress re-inker into some modelling paste and pushed it through a Dylusions Harlequin stencil. I also stamped a TH number background stamp using some metallic bronze Distress Stain in random places too, I like it when the light catches it and you didn't realise it was there.


I made up a cluster of TH idea-ology, die cuts, ephemera and the picture of me and my brother.
The little light bulb with the word sweet on it is from Prima, I love these.


The caption says "Trust in your Dreams"


We both used to fight over the View Master when we were kids ha ha! My brother with his Star Wars pics and me with my Disney pics!
So the View Master reel had to go in there too.


It's a very touchy feely canvas with all the texture.
I like to carry on the interest of the front of the canvas around the edges too, it makes me happy :)


I nearly forgot about the little bit of wax I brushed onto the corner, then I stamped into it, then I brushed it with mica powder too.



Hope you like my 12" x 12" canvas, I'll be hanging it on my stairs so my brother can see his brow in all it's glory, every time he comes round!

*******************

Here are the deets to the class I'm teaching at Art From The heart this Saturday the 27th April, starting at 10am and finishing at 3pm. 

We'll be making some texture technique tags first then making a wonderful colour and texture rich 12" x 12" canvas, which you can hang up and admire your handy work. With your tags you'll remember all the great techniques you've learned and hopefully make more texture rich canvases in the future.

   

I know there are still some places left so if you fancy coming along I'd love to see you there.
Have a great week.
Michelle xx

28 comments:

Hels Sheridan said...

absolutely gorgeous Michelle... love them all... the textures on the canvas make it look so touchable... gorgeousness!

Helen said...

Stunning 12x12 canvas,Michelle!! Loving all the texture and fab colours. Hope the class goes well on Sat - it looks as if it will be fun.

Kaz Hall said...

Stunning, gorgeous, awesome love it x

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

Wowwwwwwwwwwww! This is stunning! I love love love the colors and all the yummy textures!!!

Craft Addicts - Tracy Evans said...

Gorgeous canvas, fabulous texture and colours. Live the picture wheel and light bulb . Fantastic picture too. Tracy x

Helen said...

Wish I could come to your class :-( but the other side of the globe is just a wee bit too far! Your canvas with all the elements is absolutely fab! Thanks for sharing all the steps with us.

Jackie said...

What a wonderful canvas, I love the worm colours and the textures :o)
Jackie xx

Alison said...

Wow! Your canvas is amazing Michelle! A great setting for that fab photo!
Alison x

Redanne said...

Your canvas is beautiful Michelle, love all the texture and of course the fabulous picture wheel. Hope your class goes well. Hugs, Anne x

Silvia(Barnie) said...

A beautiful canvas and a fabulous memory. Great details.

505whimsygirl said...

Hi Michelle,

Your canvas is great! What fond memories of your youth. I love all the texture in this, especially the beeswax. I haven't tried that yet. Hmmm, maybe I'll burn a candle and use the wax from that?

Have a great time in your class this Saturday.

Peace,
Kay

Gail said...

What a fab canvas and luv the fact you are going to give your brother a gentle reminder of how he sed to look xx GaikT xx

Gems Inky antics said...

Gorgeous..! I love the colours and the layers. The the textures make you want to reach out and touch it..
Good luck on Saturday hun, I really want to be there but still in Wales . See you soon xx hugs xx

Dorothy said...

Very very nice!

Juls said...

Fabulous makes!! Hugs Juls xxx

pearshapedcrafting said...

Fabulous! Love all that texture! Oh! and the memories of the view master!! Chrisx

Kathy Eddy said...

WOW!!! This is just fabulous. It makes me want to create one also! Thanks for sharing and inspiring!

mamablitger said...

Wauhhhh...just love your canvas. Great colors, lovely textures and a terrific way to capture youth memories !
You are very talented ! Thanks a lot for sharing and let us get inspired by your creativity !!!
Hugs from SPAIN

Unknown said...

Absolutely AMAZING! You make it look SO easy ~
Enjoy!
Christi
From Across the Big Pond
(saw your post on All Things Tim Yahoo Group)

Inkypinkycraft said...

The canvas is fab and full of yummy textures! Love all the details....have fun teaching on Saturday ...I am sure everyone will have a ball! Hugs trace x

Kim said...

Wow! You have totally motivated me to get to my stash of canvases! You have done a fabulous job! Thanks for sharing...

catherine said...

This looks absolutely fantastic Michelle. Will hopefully see you in class again soon
x catherine

Kim Dellow said...

Beautiful Michelle :) Kim

Words and Pictures said...

Woomph... this packs such a fantastic punch... so much vibrant colour and texture and life to it! So wish I could come along and play... another time!
Alison x

Marjie Kemper said...

Love it, hon! Totally fab with so many yummy layers. Not to mention the fun of teasing your brother. Off to pin...

Kezzy said...

Oh I wish I lived closer, it would be a delight to work with you, your work is so inspiring and amazing. Happy Crafting :-) Kezzy xxx

Sue Lelli said...

LOVE this, Michelle ! So many details and lovely memories! LOVE the wax detail on the corner, too!

Sandy said...

Wonderful - full of texture and imagination - Your creations also triggers others to imagine and you spark creativity. Wish I could be there oh talented one!
Sandy

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...