Sunday 29 July 2012

Cooked book challenge

The brilliant Hels Sheridan and Ellen Vargo have been challenging each other with a list of crafty ingredients and seeing what they can make out of them. The hugely talented Trace Metcalf  aka InkyPinkyCraft and myself thought this was a brilliant idea and asked Hels and Ellen if we could filch their idea and come up with some ingredients of our own and challenge each other too. Ellen said go for it! Hels and Ellen may have just started a revolution me thinks!

Hel's latest fab challenge is here and Ellen's marvellous make is here.

So last weekend Trace and I had a chin wag and came up with a list of things we didn't have! Not a great start, I did wonder if we were ever gonna find something we both had?  After reeling off my crafty stash we eventually hit on something we both had and we came up with the ingredients below:

Paper mache book
Tim Holtz Idea-ology
Gesso
Gilding flakes
Adorondack Dabbers
Ranger's Rock Candy
Stencils
Distress inks
Archival ink
Die

I added a couple of extra bits:
Chipboard
Mulberry paper
Spare bit of chain & a charm.

Hop along over to Trace's amazing grungy book here.

This is what I knocked up with my ingredients.



Method
I started off gesso-ing my book. Claudine Hellmuth's gesso is the best on the market, I love it's bright whitness.


 I used some baby blue mulberry paper on the front and back covers. I've got loads of mulberry paper just sitting in a box, I always think it's so nice, but never know what to do with it, it looks great on the covers.


I used the paint from Espresso & Butterscotch Adirondack dabbers to paint the spine of the book, which gave it an aged effect. I used the mini Time Travel Crafter's workshop stencil with Walnut Stain Distress Ink on the covers. I used the gilding flakes on the raised lines on the spine and on the sides of the book.


I cut 2 Tim Holtz 'On the Edge' dies and used the stencil with structure gel to make the clocks on the die cut edges. When it was dry I painted up the edges with the same Espresso and Butterscotch paint from the dabbers.


Love the aged look from the paint.


I used the Rock Candy on the Alphabet Soup Tim Holtz Grungeboard letters.


I used Eyelets to make holes in each side of the book and used a clasp and chain to be able to fasten the book shut when I want to. I adorned the front eyelet with a Tim Holtz Chain Tassel.


On the front inside is an ATC which fits perfectly on the inside cover. I used distress inks and cut out a butterfly from a TH paper stash sheet. I also used a little piece of TH measuring tape. The little B is from an old collection of embellishments.


On the back inside I used tissue tape to line the box, filled a bottle with Barn Door re-inker and water, and dropped a few pearly beads with eyeballs drawn on them! I cut the 50/ shield from a TH paper stash page and distressed the edges with Broken China. The film strip, coat hanger, bottle, bingo number, token and clock is all TH Idea-ology. The chain and charm is from my stash.


This was a really exciting project and I loved sharing the challenge with Trace.
Thank you Trace xxxxxxx

Again, again!!!

14 comments:

Inkypinkycraft said...

I loved it!!! and i love your book, this is amazing!so much to look at and hope you had as much fun as me! yes again again!!!
a beautiful make , so many details and love how you have filled it!
lets do it again real soon..that is one fab make! love trace x

May said...

What a fab idea... this is AmAzing Michelle... I love the inside and out.. WOW, WOW, WOW.. perfect detail... off to have a look at Trace's.. Hugs May x x x

Hels Sheridan said...

Totesamazeballs hun, LOVE what you made, am really chuffed that me and Els inspired you to make your own recipes.. Am off to see Trace now :O)) x

Evil Edna said...

not normally speechless but that rocks end of.EE

Gez Butterworth said...

STUNNING! Absolutely GORJUSS! Love everything about your book. Well done on the challenge. xx

...the yorkshire fox... said...

...WOWzers Michelle...awesome work, beautiful colours, gorgeous adornments, this is a total eye pleaser and I loVe it...Mel :)
What a super idea of Ellen & Hels...xx

Redanne said...

An absolutely amazing piece of work and how lovely to work together with another blog friend, love Trace's too. The colour on the outside is my fav bit together with the bottle of poison...A x

Silvia(Barnie) said...

A wonderful piece of art, just fabulous.

Julia S-W said...

Came here from Tracey's blog - and this is just as amazing as her gorgeous book!! Wonderful that you started with same recipe and ended up with amazingly unique pieces. Love all your details and so much to see.
Juliaxx

Sandy said...

Michelle, shortly after I found you and before I could get you something in the mail - I fell and broke my hip. I hope within the next 2 weeks I will be back to creating. I find your blog exciting and so is this really wonderful funky book. You have a new fan even if she does owe you some pence!!!!!
Sandy

Wendy Fraser said...

WOW!!!!!!! Outstanding project xx

Crafting Queen said...

Stunning creation, love all the wonderful details and textures.

Marjie Kemper said...

I'm blown away.... this is just fantastic!!! So many amazing details. Fantastic!

Lisa Carroll said...

Oh my goodness, this is absolutely STUNNING! Such rich, gorgeous colors and textures... a lot of love and hard work went into this, and it paid off in spades. Amazing! Thank you for playing along in the "Anything Goes" challenge over at the SImon Says Stamp challenge blog. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...