Friday 19 April 2013

Father's day card for Creative Expressions

Since going to Ally Pally there's been a certain kind of buzz in the air on Twitter and Facebook with all the people we met up with. They're not just words on comments any more, you can see their faces and mannerisms and you feel like you know them that little bit more. I love it, we need more big events so we can meet up more.


Father's day is on the 16th of June this year, and that's not too far away, so I've got ahead of myself and made this grungy painty card. 
I have racks of card stock but I hardly ever use it, I find myself more and more making my own backgrounds with lots of layers, especially when it comes to male themes, it's just easier to make your own. Here's how I made mine.



I started off making a background of brown acrylic paints on good quality card and dried it with a heatgun.
Then I smudged some Vaseline on the dried paint, in vertical strokes, concentrating it on the edges mostly.



Then I painted some cream coloured paint over the top, taking care not to drag the Vaseline. I used the end of my paint brush to make lines in the paint like floorboards.
Wait for the paint to dry, don't use a heat gun or it will melt the Vaseline.


Paint over the top of the cream with some blue paint. When the blue is dry, wipe off the Vaseline with a kitchen towel, to get the distressed paint look.


When all the paint is dry, cut down the paper to the size of your card and start layering the stamps and stencilling for the background.


I've used stamps from Tim Holtz classic collection for the background. I really like the contrast of the white text on the blue and the brown areas.




I finished off the card by putting some Cast Bronze Gilding Wax (Creative Expressions), on my finger and rubbing it on the card in vertical and horizontal movements. Then edging the background with a black Adirondack Dabber.


I really enjoy making my own backgrounds because then they're completely unique.

It looks like the sun has definitely got his hat on this weekend!
I'll be out in the garden doing some much needed weeding, and going for a nice bike ride along the beach. 
Hope you have a great weekend, I wonder what you'll be getting up to?
Take care
Michelle xx

23 comments:

Lin said...

wow Michelle this is fantastic...I love your backgrounds as you know..fantastic fathers day card!! and you are right there should be far more get togethers lol !!! x

Helen said...

What a great card - a good trick with the vaseline!! yes, we need another get together!

Helen said...

Thanks for sharing your unique background instructions. Vaseline is not something I would think to use but it is certainly something to remember.

Amanda said...

What a fab card loving all the techniques on your background. Right now to buy some Vaseline lol
Love
Amanda x

Inkypinkycraft said...

Love the grungy background...great layers of painty ness...a great make trace x

Juls said...

Fabulous!! The colours are amazing!! Hugs Juls xxx

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

This is amazing! I loveeeeeeeeee how you created that background and LOVING the car!!

Jackie said...

A wonderful piece of artwork. I watched a video of someone using the Gelli plate to produce these kind of effects so I am saving up to buy one :o)
Jackie xx

Evil Edna said...

magic.EE

Craft Addicts - Tracy Evans said...

Fabu,lus background Michelle, I've not used Vaseline for a while. I love the distressed look and the layers of colour and stamping . Great image too. Fabulous Father's day card. Tracy x

Craft Addicts - Tracy Evans said...

Fabulous even. Oh by the way Michelle you could enter this into the SSSS challenge which is backgrounds this week. Tracy x

Redanne said...

A really gorgeous card Michelle and a great step-by-step, loving the white stamping. Hugs, Anne x

Dara Lynn said...

Gotta try this!!!! Thank you Michelle for taking the time to share the process on this great card!!!! I am sooo gonna try this out this weekend!!!

GrĂ¡inne said...

Michelle this background is to die for ... I SO love it and definitely have to give it a try; thanks so much for the how-to. The card is absolutely gorgeous! Love it, each and every detail of it. Have a great weekend, Suzanne x

Marjie Kemper said...

Gorgeous! Love peeking through al your layers... fab build-up, Michelle!

catherine said...

This looks fantastic Michelle and such great techniques used.
x catherine

Gillian .... said...

Gorgeous background and layering, love your unique style. AP was just the best weekend and I got to meet you which made it all the more special. xx

Wendy Fraser said...

Sooooo clever! xx

Karin said...

Beautiful card and the background is amazing!

ria gall said...

Hi Michelle
a great Fathers Day card and your background is fantastic thank you for sharing the technique amazing
Ria

Mishelflos Paper Creations said...

You would never have thought that that would turn out so gorgeous would you!!

Beautiful :)
Love
Michelle

Words and Pictures said...

Yum, yum, yum... LOVE that floorboard effect, and I'm definitely going to try playing with Vaseline - The stamping is stunning... what a fabulous, inspirational piece of work, Michelle - it's fantastic!
Alison x

Sandy said...

Fabulous Father's Day card Michelle!!
How in the world did you learn to do all these techniques?!? It is so much fun to follow you and learn from your tutorials. Thanks a bunch Hon!
Sandy

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...