Saturday 19 January 2013

Small Act of Kindness arty tag

I've been out for a long walk in the snow today, it's so nice to climb up high and see all the snow covered fields and hills. It's also good to get the heart pumping and get some fresh air. I took some pics maybe I'll add one at the end of this post.

We've been sent our new stamps for January from Creative Expressions and they're brilliant! We have the Special Sentiments and the Hearts Entwined stamp sets. There's so many things I can think of to make with these stamps, I can't wait to get started on them. Here's my first crafty piece. A painty arty tag.


I bought a book ages ago called Surface Treatment Workshop, it has 45 different mixed media techniques in it, and one of those techniques is using Vaseline. 
I painted the tag first in dark pink, then ran streaks of Vaseline down the tag. not in too many places.
then painted over the top. Wait for the paint to dry normally, don't use a heat gun, it'll only melt the Vaseline. 


When the paint is dry wipe off the Vaseline, don't rub it, as you want that distressed peeled paint look.


Then I stamped it with the ornate edges of a frame stamp on the Hearts Entwined stamp set, and some other texture stamps I have from my stash.


I painted some white acrylic paint with a dry brush down the tag to distress it even more.


I used some Aged Mahogany Distress ink through some sequin waste to stencil some little circles in the white areas of the tag.


I used a Wendy Vecchi flower stencil to push some moulding paste through the flower. I love using moulding paste, I like the texture it leaves on the surface. When it's dry it dries white so you can colour it with Distress Markers  they're are so vivid on the moulding paste, I love that! What a contrast.


I finished off my tag using the sentiment from the "Special Sentiments" stamp set and inked up the edges with more Aged Mahogany, I've also added some vintage ribbon inked up with the same distress inks. Oh and a Tim Holtz Listen token, with white paint rubbed into the word. 

************************
Here is one of the pics I took this morning in the snow.
I wonder if there'd been a bird disco here the night before!


Have a great weekend, I'm going to catch up on visiting everyone's blog, I've been locked away making millions of Wedding Invitation so I'm sorry I've been out of the loop for a couple of weeks, but I'm off to come and see what you've been up to. 
Michelle xxx

25 comments:

Craft Addicts - Tracy Evans said...

Hi Michelle, oh I love this technique , not used it for a couple of months and it's fantastic, I love the peeled paint look it gives. Love,the added white too. Great use of the sentiment and Wendy's flower. Tracy x

Redanne said...

Hi Michelle, You have certainly used some great techniques to produce your beauty of a tag. Love how you coloured Wendy's flower, it really does make a bold statement and suits the tag so well. Hugs, Anne x

Inkypinkycraft said...

This has your eye for colour, love the flower and cool Vaseline technique .. Must try it again soon ! This tag is fab hugs trace x

maj. said...

Michelle, it's great work and great tutorial !!!

Helen said...

Wow, what a great effect - I only use vaseline on my lips, lol! Love the snowy picture too.

Netty said...

smashing tag Michelle, great colours and design, x

Anonymous said...

Great Tag Michelle.....It's ages since I've used this technique, thanks for the reminder. Love your photo......wish we had snow :( Have a good rest of the weekend. S. x

borgqueen said...

Small acts of kindness - love that concept and love your streaking too ;o) xxx

borgqueen said...

Small acts of kindness - love that concept and love your streaking too ;o) xxx

Words and Pictures said...

Stunning tag, Michelle - will definitely be trying out the vaseline - thanks for the clear step by step... lovely icy picture too!
Alison xx

Gems Inky antics said...

Wow it's stunning Michelle x

Gems Inky antics said...

Wow it's stunning Michelle x

Karin said...

wow, a fabulous tag, love the background technique!

Gillian .... said...

The colours are gorgeous in this tag,love the addition of the flower stencil and great to revisit the vaseline technique. Your wintery pic looks great (if you're sitting indoors lol). xx

Helen said...

Love the colours you've used on your tag. They are so vibrant. I haven't come across the vaseline technique before so I'll have to try it out.

Jackie said...

Fabulous tag, I love the look the vaseline has created :o)
Jackie xx

Liesbeth Fidder said...

Wonderful tag Michelle ! Love the background !

Unknown said...

This is great,what wonderful colours you have used and the effect you have created with the use of Vaseline is great.What a wonderful sentiment.Jacqueline.S

Silvia(Barnie) said...

Wow, the technique turns out great. Fantastic tag.

flutterbycrafter said...

Great tag, love the sentiment and I'd forgotten about the Vaseline technique thanks for the reminder x

El-Dimps said...

Gorgeous tag Michelle, love the vaseline technique, will have to have a play x

KayS said...

Hi Michelle! Gosh, it's been so long since I had someone stop by my blog (let alone me actually post something), that it was a real treat to get your comment! ha ha I'm still doing lots of art (and keeping up on my calendar) but I've not kept up on blogging very well. I really enjoyed visiting your blog and seeing your art! Congratulations on being on the new team - I can see why! And you write so well! So descriptive and down to earth. Makes me feel very welcome and very much connected to another artsy girl. Thanks!

Marjie Kemper said...

Gorgeous background! I've tried that Vaseline technique and not liked it, but maybe the dry brush white is the necessary missing step. Will try to file that away for next time!

Sandra Botham said...

Oh my Michelle this is brilliant, love it and am definetley going to try this one out. xxx

Kezzy said...

Oh wow gorgeous. I have tried the vasaline, but got it everywhere lol, but I did heat it with a heat gun so I bet that didn't help lol. Also I sort of got stuck to see what I should do after as it looked a bit washy with a stamped image. But I just love the way you have gave it such funky texture and adding bits of paint amazing. Hugs Kezzy xxx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...