Tuesday 11 September 2012

Halloween tag for Try it on Tuesday

The wonderful people at Try it on Tuesday have asked me to be their quest designer for September, and of course I've said yes! 

This fortnight's theme is Anything Goes so I've made this spooky tag, seeing as Halloween is fast approaching, actually Tesco have already got massive displays of Quality Street and Roses! What's all that about?

I've had so much fun making this tag, especially the coffin and the mummy. Making something from scratch hurts the brain cells a bit but the end result is always worth it.


The R.I.P. was wrote with a Versamark pen then I put silver embossing powder on and I was away!


I started off drawing a coffin shape on some cardboard, then drew the sides and the lid and cut them all out. I stuck everything down with a Zig glue pen, it works quick and I like that. I used some Tim Holtz spider web tissue tape to cover the outside of the coffin and the underside of the lid. This was great for securing the lid to the rest of the coffin, it was flexible enough to act as a hinge too.


I painted the coffin with burnt umber acrylic paint and drew black lines on for planks of wood. I made a grain pattern with brown Promarkers (with a fine tip) and some white paint on the end of a cocktail stick.


I started the mummy off by shaping kitchen towel with pva glue into a body like shape.  Then I started to wrap masking tape around the body. I had to tear the masking tape into smaller strips and to do that I stuck a strip down on the craft mat and tore strips off. I found this was the best way to make it look like bandages, i.e. no straight edges.


I wiped over some Walnut Stain distress ink to make the bandages look dirty and old.
He looks great sat in his coffin.


I used black Cosmic Shimmer glue and a white Posca pen for the eyes. OOoooooooooo He looks scary!


I made the tag background from Dylusions inks, Artistic Outpost Halloween stamps (Hanging bat and spider webs). Some black gesso, and distress inks.  I also used some Interference green Golden Paint in places around the tag and on the coffin.

The green twigs are an Alterations Sissix die, pained with a mix of green paints.

Hope you enjoyed my Halloween tag and I'm so pleased to be on the TIOT team for September.

*************************

I have a little Felix Update.
My little rescued Felix is 17 weeks old now and he went out into the big wide world on Friday for the first time......After a good sniff of everything...........


He LOVES IT!


Binks my other cat....(is like Gentle Ben....he's huge...and could be mistaken for the Essex lion if I lived down there!)...showed Felix how to climb trees...tail up and very happy!

22 comments:

Netty said...

wow your sculptured tag is totally fabulous Michelle, such a brilliant idea for Halloween. Annette x

snazzyoriginal said...

Great tag, totally agree about the buzz from making something from scratch and your mummy & coffin look amazing xx

Mrs.B said...

Hi Michelle, great to have you join us for October.
This is a stunning project (tag doesn't do it justice). Love the little coffin - and a fabulous background.
Avril xx

sally said...

What a wonderful creation, I am going to have to share this one with my American grandchildren - they are going to love it!

Evil Edna said...

wonderful tag so carefully constructed, I hope you scare many children with it!Awww he looks so happy and he has a lion to look out for him.EE

Inkypinkycraft said...

this is fab!! love the mummy and the coffin, an amazing creation!!! just love it...what a wonderfulpiece...that mummy is so cool! love trace x

Meggymay said...

Hi Michelle, its great to have you with us at TioTs this month. Your Tag is awesome, so many details and the mummy is just brilliant.
Yvonne x

Redanne said...

Hi Michelle, well done on the Guest Designer on the DT!! This tag is brilliant, love the way you made the coffin and the mummy and love the 'yummy mummy' sentiment, that gave me such a giggle..... you have done a brilliant job. Crafty hugs, Anne x

Wendy Fraser said...

WOW!!!!!!! This is brilliant, so very clever. Great pics of your puddies too. xx

thekathrynwheel said...

I LOVE your spooky creation - very creative. And congrats on your guest DT position, yay for you!!

Marjie Kemper said...

Fabulous tag! Love that rich background. Congrats on the exciting news, too!

Robyn said...

Super cool tag! I shared on our artistic outpost Facebook page and twitter!

Robyn said...

Super cool tag! I shared on our artistic outpost Facebook page and twitter!

May said...

WOW!! What a fabulous tag.. Love it!
Big Congrats Michelle on the DT Spot..I love everything about this tag, Colours, design, Texture Background.. and of course that yummy mummy.. Brilliant.. Hugs May x x x

Helen said...

What a terrific yummy mummy and tag, I would never have even thought of it, and you figured it all out from scratch. Really good! Little Felix looks like he's ready to conquer the world (or at least the garden).

Christine said...

A fantastic tag!! What an ingenious way of making the mummy - very clever! I thought you had used a toy inside the bandages, but kitchen paper and PVA means you could make it any size you want. Thank you very much for the idea!!!

The Archiving Angel said...

This tag in incredible! You managed to fit so much into it but made it so 3 dimensional and fun.
Terrific!

Sandy said...

Oh this is so very clever Michelle! Right spooky and very creative. I love cats and
Felix is gorgeous. Your grey cat looks like my big grey cat - tink is a 20 pounder!
Sandy

Angela Weimer said...

A fabulous creation Michelle. Love that mummy!! So honored to have you joining us this month. Have a great week. Angela

Lynn Stevens said...

LOVE your Halloween tag, its so creative with the coffin and mummy.

So glad you found me because now I found you!
hugs Lynn

Tracey-B said...

I love the coffin and mummy, how clever to make them Both from scratch, they look fantastic! Another great crafting project, I love it!

KristyLee said...

OMG that is an awesome tag, thanks for showig how you made it! You did the best job ever on that coffin and all your embllies. This is so freakin cool! Your kitty cat is very cute too!
Peace,
Kristy

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...