Friday 27 April 2012

If I were a mermaid

I'm booked in for a 'Drawing in your Journal' class at Art from the Heart in Harrogate with Kate Crane. so I thought I would dust off the cobwebs in my frontal lobe and practice doing a bit of drawing. It used to come so easy to me as a cocky 17 year old at college, but now I have too many distractions with daily life and everything. So I surprised myself when I sat down in front of the tele the other night to draw a mermaid, I thought I'd be there for hours, rubbing it out and starting again, but she was there in about 30 minutes! Ironically the lobsters took me longer to do. 

I'm still relatively new to this art journaling game, and I still have so much to learn, its exciting times for me, I'm enjoying the journey, being inspired by so many blogs out there, I love it!

I like anything to do with the sea. Every time I go to the beach I always come back with my pockets full of little bits of rocks and shells. I wonder what happens beneath those waves. What would you do if you were a mermaid? This is what I would do.


So here goes, the materials I've used were the glorious London Blue & Vibrant Turquoise Dylusions Inks for the background.  I have this old wooden rubber stamp that has a snow pattern on it.  I dabbed it in water and stamped it on the page to blot out little white dots on the fab blue background.  It worked so well as a bubble effect all over.  The hanging plants, the fish, the sea horses, the jelly fish and the coral are all the fantastic Lavinia Stamps, they're such good quality with loads of detail, Tracey is so talented.  I used many different shades of blue to give the illusion of distance with all the stamps.


I drew some foreground plants straight on the page with a black gel pen, and used a lighter shade pencil to draw plants in the distance. I love my little happy lobsters. I had heaps of fun making this page.


14 comments:

Helen said...

What a beautiful page! Your drawing is lovely - doesn't look like you have any trouble remembering how to do it... have a great class!

Susan said...

This is gorgeous. Love the colors but think your fish are fantastic. Great idea to use water on a stamp to remove color. Thanks.

Marji said...

Your Mermaid is really cool! The sea is such an inspiring place. Its so easy to bring back pockets full of treasures. Very nice. Happy PPF

Netty said...

Loving your mermaid and they are beautiful pages. Happy PPF, Annette x

kristin maynes said...

Seriously, I'd do the same if I were a mermaid. :) Love your piece! Happy PPF!

Tracey FK said...

Great pages and the backgrounds are just stunning... beautiful work...xx

Unknown said...

Michelle what fabulous work , love the colours Hugs Elaine

Marjie Kemper said...

I love what you've done here with the different shades of ink to imply distance. You also have a ton of movement ~ feels like those fish are about to swim right past the mermaid! Super pages!

Marjolein said...

Love this!!! Your drawing is amazing! And those inkies..... don't you just love that combination?? I've got those too, got them in this week and am in LOVE!!!

carlarey said...

Fabulous! What a fun looking underwater world.

Wendy Fraser said...

What a STUNNING watery scene, I love those funky lobsters. xxx

Mary C. Nasser said...

Gorgeous colors! Love the way the warm colors of her hair and the lobsters really pops against that beautiful blue background!

I am your newest blog follower, too! :)
♥♥♥
Happy PPF!!
Mary
Mixed-Media Map Art

Debbie said...

'Love your beautiful colors and textures in this journal page. The words are so nice, too.

minnemie said...

Amazing background. Thanks for sharing how you did the foreground and background plants -so smart! I need tips like that:-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...