Tuesday 17 January 2012

Not a red Valentines card!

Valentines cards don't have to be red. They can be peachy and bluey green!
They don't have to have cupid and his arrow on either, they can have an Alice in Wonderland Octopode Factory stamp on them. The Valentines idea stemmed from the Queen of Hearts really, but resulted in Alice in Wonderland.

I had seen an article in Craft Stamper last year which used wax and mica powders on a tag, I revisited this magazine last night when I couldn't sleep (I think us crafter's quite often can't sleep with so many ideas banging around in our heads!), but it inspired me to use wax and mica powders on this Valentines card.

I wanted bling, but not gems or glitter, and the mica powders just gives it a nice little sheen on the wax. Not to mention the lovely Beadazzle balls, which are marvellous.

I have entered this card in a Valentines challenge on Creatalicious Challenges http://creataliciouschallenges.blogspot.com/




Where do I start with what I've used on this card? Maybe the top and work my way down. 
Martha Stewart deep edge heart punch along the top and used Dried Marigold Tim Holtz Distress Ink around the edges.
I managed to pick up a 12 x 12 DCWV Madly in Love cardstock stack from Hobbycraft for just £6.99 in the Boxing Day sale and the black and greeny blue heart backing card is out of that. I used Black Soot distress ink around the edges. 




The peachy card is some Kanban cardstock from my stash, and Broken China distress ink around the edge. 
I pinched some of my Yankie Candle wax out of a burner to brush on the corner of my card, and stamped a flourish stamp into it before it cooled. Actually it could be a scented card too, it smells lovely!
I rubbed some mica powder over the top of the cooled wax with my finger. It really is that simple, and it looks really great too.



Spellbinder's dies
I used Spellbinder's Ironworks dies for the doily type circles, which are edged with Dried Marigold distress ink. 

Heart Stamp
I used the free heart stamp from Craft Stamper this month and stamped onto some Tim Holtz Crowded Attic paper with the Broken China distress ink. I then used a Versamark pad and stamped again over the stamped heart and put clear embossing powder over the top of the stamp. I then used the Dried Marigold distress ink over the top of the heart stamp to give it that peachy centre. 

Alice in Wonderland Stamp
The Alice in Wonderland is a Octopode Factory stamp which is great, and is coloured with Promarkers. The Cherish tag is a Tim Holtz Idea-ology tag.  



Twigs
The twigs are the Tim Holtz Alterations On the Edge Twigs die by Sizzix. I used some Craftwork Cards chipboard with the die. Then I painted it with PVA glue, then white acrylic paint and dried it with the heat gun for the crackle effect. I then used mica powders on the twigs to colour them a bit. I used the wax technique along the bottom of the twigs.



Sentiment
The sentiment I made in Photoshop, and coloured in the number 14 with Promarkers and put this year's date on 14/2/12. Oh and the sentiment is held on with a Tim Holtz memo pin.




The red felt Love heart button embellishment I bought from Hobbycraft, it comes in a pack of lots of little red felt hearts in the Dress It Up range.


I have made the inside of the card look pretty too using Kanban card and some tissue tape.


Hope you like it as much as I liked making it. Wish my job was not working with numbers all day every day,  I'd give anything to be crafting all day and still be able to pay the mortgage!

Michelle xx

3 comments:

The Octopode Factory said...

this is utterly stunning!

3djean said...

i love this , great card

applejack cards by sue said...

I hopped over from docrafts and have found myself browsing through your wonderful blog. Your ideas are amazing and this is so beautiful...thank you for showing us how it was made.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...