Thursday 1 November 2012

R is for Retro

I'm a child of the 70's born 1971, I have many fond memories of playing outside, with my flared trousers on and my incredibly long collars! I remember the heatwave in the summer of 1976, and the Silver Jubilee street parties. The music was pretty awesome too. When It's crafting Time said that this week's design team theme was retro it just conjured up happy memories of always playing outside and not so many rules as we have today.

70's retro colours to me are brown's, mustard yellow, red and blue, and here they are on my altered Decopatch letter R for Retro.


I've used Tim Holtz Cirque stamp set, they all work brilliantly with this theme.
I've also cut out the letters from a Tim Holtz Seasonal Paper stash page to spell Retro.


I have to thank Kate Crane for the black liner I used around the letters. Kate kindly gave me a black Stabilo aquarellable pencil after using one in one of her classes at Art from Heart. Its brilliant because you can rub it with your fingers to make a grungy grubby black shadow around things or use a fine paint brush with a little bit of water to blend the black into the edges, which I've done here.


I've also used one of Tim's idea-ology metal sentiments dabbed with blue alcohol ink and rubbed with white gesso in the letters to make them stand out. I've also used music note tissue tape on the inside edges.
It's far out man!
M xx

16 comments:

Caroline said...

This is gorgeous Michelle love the design and the colours are beautiful. Caroline xxx

Ruth said...

Really cool Michelle!

Jackie said...

I remember the 70s well, my kids were just heading into their teens. I love the brilliant colours on this big R. In that summer of '76 I was a school dinner lady :o)
Jackie xx

Silvia(Barnie) said...

That's really a cool "R".

Caro´s kreative Welt said...

Wowww, ein cooles R. Toll!

LG Carola

Gillian .... said...

Well funky man .... totally fab Michelle. x

Jenn Borjeson said...

Ack! This is gorgeous!!!! :)

May said...

Brilliant project Michelle... Stunning work as always... Hugs May x x x

Kim Dellow said...

Love it Michelle, love all the colour and stamping and all the extra bits and pieces :)
You should definitely try out for the Faber-Castell gDT, they seem to have them every three months so there is always next time if you don't have time this time :) Have a fab weekend! Kx

Words and Pictures said...

Wow, Michelle - that's absolutely stunning... so full of retro scrumminess! I love the grungy colour combination, and the sensational layers of stamping and texture... this is a big WOW!
Alison x

gayle said...

Ooh, this is fab :) love the layers in the stamping, looks wonderful!

Lucy Edmondson said...

This is great. I have never decorated a letter and this has encouraged me. I was a Seventies child too, and my mum used a pair of curtains to put bell-bottoms into my brother's trousers. He was so cool!

Lucy x

Marjie Kemper said...

I love it! I have a big old M done this way in my room. The tissue tape inside your R is such a great finisher.

Anonymous said...

zolpidem no prescription buy ambien with prescription - ambien identification of pill

Anonymous said...

buy valium online valium and anxiety disorder - get valium online

Anonymous said...

soma online carisoprodol 5513 - soma internet radio

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...